Labour’s education revolution – a National Education Service!
“I’d rather give a break to the worker who wants to learn than give a tax break to the billionaire who wants for nothing. That’s the difference between Labour and the Conservatives.” Jeremy Corbyn
Today Labour made a major education policy announcement building on several years of hard work and development by the shadow education team headed up by Angela Rayner. At its heart is a simple premise;education is a right, not a privilege and should be available to everyone regardless of background, ambition, or personal circumstances.
Labour have announced a cradle to grave National Education Service, free at the point of use, and ready to provide opportunities to learn, retrain, or upskill whenever the need arises.
The comprehensive package of measures include:
- A sure start centre in every community offering health and welfare advice to new parents
- 30 hours of free childcare for all 2, 3, and 4 year olds
- All primary school children learning in classes of fewer than 30
- Free school meals for every Primary school child
- Removal of unnecessary SATs exams to allow teachers to focus on learning rather than preparing for narrow assessments
- An arts pupil premium to create opportunities for every child to learn musical instruments, drama, and dance
- Local accountability of schools – ending the divisive academy and free schools program
- An end to tuition fees for university education
- Access to six years of credits at levels 4to 6, including the equivalent of an undergraduate degree
- Maintenance support for all higher level study, not just University education
- A legal right to paid time off work for education and training.
This is a transformational offer to the British people, ensuring that nobody need be trapped by their circumstances in low paid, low skilled work. The National Education Service will help make sure that there is no skills shortage in South Cambridgeshire, safeguarding the continued growth of our dynamic local economy and making sure that no one is left behind.